Re: [Ekiga-list] Coexistence of ekiga with an ATA

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le vendredi 05 janvier 2007 à 13:53 +0000, ael a écrit :
>
> [...]
>

>>>Check if there is not something to configure at the router level.
>>
>>I played for a fair time with the router settings, but I think the
>>problem is that I don't know what the HandyTone ATA is actually doing.
>>It is at the front end just after the cable modem so I think that is
>>where the foible is hiding. Rarely I saw the STUN reporting symmetric
>>NAT and I gather that the STUN protocol can be nondeterministic in such
>>situations. My tests were with only 1 active machine on the network, so
>>the STUN server might be seeing the ATA as one host and the ekiga
>>machine as another.
>>

> Indeed, in such a case, STUN is non deterministic.
>

>>I will run etherreal during a session to see whether this helps: I might
>>forward a log here in case someone can help with interpretation. But of
>>course, I will only see the traffic behind the router.

I have now captured the STUN traffic from ekiga 2.0.2. [I have sent a
copy of the dump off list.]

Initially there are 14 packets exchanged. This is while ekiga is
starting up. At this point attempted calls to, say 500 ekiga net, fail
usually with abnormal call termination.

Visiting
 ekiga-> Preferences -> Protocols -> Network Settings

and simply clicking the [Apply] button (STUN is already selected)
results in another 24 packets being exchanged between ekiga and the STUN
servers. [Packets 15 to 38 in the dump]. After this "magic" ekiga works
well.

I hope that this throws some light on the situation.

A E Lawrence