Re: [Ekiga-list] Coexistence of ekiga with an ATA

Le vendredi 05 janvier 2007 à 13:53 +0000, ael a écrit :

[...]

> > Check if there is not something to configure at the router level.
>
> I played for a fair time with the router settings, but I think the
> problem is that I don't know what the HandyTone ATA is actually doing.
> It is at the front end just after the cable modem so I think that is
> where the foible is hiding. Rarely I saw the STUN reporting symmetric
> NAT and I gather that the STUN protocol can be nondeterministic in such
> situations. My tests were with only 1 active machine on the network, so
> the STUN server might be seeing the ATA as one host and the ekiga
> machine as another.

Indeed, in such a case, STUN is non deterministic.

> I will run etherreal during a session to see whether this helps: I might
> forward a log here in case someone can help with interpretation. But of
> course, I will only see the traffic behind the router. Unless I
> rearrange the network for testing purposes which I don't have time to do
>  for now.
>
> All that said, it seems to be quite reliable to use the "magic": start
> ekiga, change the network protocol from STUN and back to STUN and then
> everything works.

I suppose that in that case you can not be called from the outside, but
I can not confirm that.

> I haven't tried port forwarding because I would like to be able to use
> ekiga on any local machine. I suspect that would work if I put the ATA
> behind, rather than in front of, the main router and then forward
> specific ports to the ATA. But if an incoming call arrived while I was
> using all my bandwidth for a major download, I suspect that the voip
> call quality would suffer (and I do get a few problems even now).

Using sipproxd might be a good idea. I'm not sure putting the ATA in
front of the router helps with bandwidth, except if there is an internal
traffic shaper.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-