Re: [Ekiga-list] weird Ekiga behaviour, bug?

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 01:18 +0100, Jan Schampera wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:56:03 +0000
> John Leach <john johnleach co uk> wrote:
>
> > I've come across a strange problem that affects Ekiga.  It usually
> > works well, but once in a while my calls are so choppy as to be
> > completely unusable.  The strange behaviour is that if I start
> > another process that is CPU intensive, Ekiga works fine!
> >
> > So, I experience choppy calls, then run:
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1M
> >
> > and the choppiness completely disappears.  Kill dd and it reappears.
> >
> > I tend to get choppy calls for a whole session. Restarting Ekiga
> > doesn't help.
> >
> > I'm using Ubuntu Edgy on an i386 Sony Vaio laptop. I use suspend to
> > ram a lot, if that's any clue.
> >
> > So, I'm not sure if this is even a Ekiga bug.  Any ideas anyone?
>
> That's the second time I hear such a report: choppy sound goes away on
> high CPU load (first report was on IRC).
>
> In your special case: Maybe the CPU is throttled?

acpi (via proc) tells me throttling is turned off.  It does very much
sound like a CPU problem, and not Ekiga.  Though maybe the report will
help others with the same problem.

I'm going to try arrange to test it with the upcoming Feisty Ubuntu
release as that has a newer kernel.  I'll get back with any results.

John.
--
http://johnleach.co.uk