Re: [Ekiga-list] weird Ekiga behaviour, bug?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:56:03 +0000
John Leach <john johnleach co uk> wrote:

> I've come across a strange problem that affects Ekiga.  It usually
> works well, but once in a while my calls are so choppy as to be
> completely unusable.  The strange behaviour is that if I start
> another process that is CPU intensive, Ekiga works fine!
>
> So, I experience choppy calls, then run:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1M
>
> and the choppiness completely disappears.  Kill dd and it reappears.
>
> I tend to get choppy calls for a whole session. Restarting Ekiga
> doesn't help.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Edgy on an i386 Sony Vaio laptop. I use suspend to
> ram a lot, if that's any clue.
>
> So, I'm not sure if this is even a Ekiga bug.  Any ideas anyone?

That's the second time I hear such a report: choppy sound goes away on
high CPU load (first report was on IRC).

In your special case: Maybe the CPU is throttled?

J.

--
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
- J. B. Postel, master of the net.