Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] ekiga && UMTS netbooks

El día Wednesday, May 08, 2013 a las 01:56:09PM +0200, Eugen Dedu escribió:

On 08/05/13 11:48, Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día Monday, May 06, 2013 a las 02:00:31PM +0200, Eugen Dedu escribió:

On 06/05/13 12:11, Matthias Apitz wrote:

Hello,

I'm using now 4.1.x (out of SVN) on my FreeBSD netbook. When I'm
connected at home behind my SOHO NAT-router it works fine. I can, for
example, call sip:520 ekiga net and the server calls back fine.

When I'm connected in the fields with my UMTS stick (ppp based),
outgoing calls are working too, but no incoming call is presented. I
watched with TCPDUMP and I can not see any incoming SIP contact, only
every 30 secs, ekiga is sending something out via SIP.

My UMTS provider (www.fonic.de) seems to support VoIP. Is the above
analyse correct, that the incoming SIP is missing, or something else?

The each 30 sec is the keep-alive connection of ekiga I think, so this
is normal.

I looked at your log.  I notice that you have disabled Enable network
detection, as you said.  Still, you register to ekiga.net.  I have
always thought that you cannot register to ekiga.net in such a case, and
it is also what happens to me.  So I cannot test why calling 520 does
not work afterwards.  I noticed me too that incoming packets are not
received, but I do not know if it is provider's fault or simply
ekiga.net does not answer in such a case.

On the other hand, you told me that enabling net detection shows you a
dialog box with an error.  This means that you are behind a restrictive
NAT (symmetric NAT), where ekiga does not work, at least currently, cf.
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Understanding_NAT/firewall_issues_with_SIP_clients_%28eg_ekiga%29

I have contacted the support line of www.fonic.de; it took me some mails
to make them understand the problem, and some traces to proof them that
they let not pass inbound connections (first the claimed that they do).

So have they acknowledged that they block some packets?

Yes; and they are unwilling to change this.

That would mean that no SIP pkg from ekiga.net can arrive if it is not a
reply of an outbound pkg first; can ekiga work in such environment?
would it help to set the polling to 1 sec?

By default, polling is 10 sec, not 30 sec as you wrote.  Have you
modified it?  I do not see any OPTIONS packet in your trace log either,
I suppose this is because you told it not to detect the network.

I checked this polling frequence issue. I have two accounts registered.

ekiga.net:
If STUN is enabled the polling is every 10 secs; if disabled no polling

iptel.org:
it polls every 30 secs SIP;

Ekiga does work in such an environment, I think it did not used that
feature because you told it not to detect the network.

My only suggestion is to enable network detection and tell what happens
and give again a log.

I enabled STUN, the error pop up with no message shows up; I can't do
any 501 echo call to ekiga any more; it connects fine but no sound is
echoed; with TCPDUMP I can see only outgoing UDP, no incoming; that's
why no noise. I will send you a d4 log with one call to 501 ekiga net,
hangup and a next call to echo iptel org which works fine.

Thanks for all your assistance.

        matthias
--
Sent from my FreeBSD netbook

Matthias Apitz               |  - No system with backdoors like Apple/Android
E-mail: guru unixarea de     |  - Never being an iSlave
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |  - No proprietary attachments, no HTML/RTF in E-mail
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  - Respect for open standards