Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Challenges for generation of Ekiga 4.x

On 30/01/13 17:51, Markus Elfring wrote:
It has not been tested with .12 versions, and there are API breakages, as you noticed.

But I find it strange that a member function like "PVideoDevice::GetParameters"
should not be accessible by the pointer "input_device" (class
"PVideoInputDevice") for example.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/ekiga/tree/lib/engine/components/ptlib/videoinput-manager-ptlib.h?id=2b821878b45cf05b5352e19a287b66604c6f27e9#n81

I do not see problems by the view from the tool "KDevelop 4-4.4.1-73.1" while
the tool "g++ 4.7.1 20120723" complains about some source code places here.

If your kdevelop uses gcc 4.4.1, then this could easily be explained, since recent gcc have become stricter and stricter about the C syntax.

I interpret the use of the prefix "opal/" in your include statements as another
update candidate.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/ekiga/tree/lib/engine/components/opal/pcss-endpoint.h?id=881e03e4f0240584959d4176c517ddcecf03c1ed#n45

How do you think about to delete it there and let it be added to the include
parameters by your configuration script instead?
http://git.gnome.org/browse/ekiga/tree/configure.ac?id=2a7d80a7581ef8016a570b3fe9f1a356c404f5ce

No. For simplicity, ekiga depends strictly on some version of ptlib/opal. When we switch to v12, then we fix/update ekiga code to work with it.

Do you have a strong reason to use .12 versions?

I would like to try out some of the latest stable software libraries your
application depends on.

v12 is not well tested with ekiga and based on my experience I am sure that v12 needs many fixes to be as good as v10.

If you need ekiga as a user, then use v10. If you want to do development work, then you can try v12 and inform us about the patches you use so that we can commit them when we switch to v12 (in very few months).