[Ekiga-devel-list] [GStreamer] CPU consumption, in-video-call, is too high.

Hello,

The following writings are parts of a private corespondent between
myself and Mr. Julien Puydt.  Notes are additions and were not
originally written in the conversation. Julien Puydt, your replies have
been omitted.  Please post them again.

CPU consumption, while using video, is relatively too high,
therefore are you considering to separate tasks to separate processes
in a similar manner to what Mozilla Firefox has done with its plugin
system by using plugin-container?

[reply]

While I use GOOM with a prevalent audio/video player or with Ekiga
offline or activating the Screencast while Ekiga is offline (not in
call) then the CPU won't be as high as it is (60% or 70% I need to
check again) while Ekiga is connected to another peer.

NOTE: GStreamer Video test
      $ gst-launch videotestsrc ! ximagesink
      8% to 11% CPU when initial is 3% to 6%

[reply]

Initial CPU usage is 6%

Turning on Ekiga and calling in LAN:
Moving Logo 70%
Goom effect 100%
Screencast  30% - 40% (freeze - invalid)
Video test  60%

NOTE: Invalid = this finding is invalid due to Screencast freeze bug.

[reply]

>From what I understand is that transferring bytes of data should not
take this much of CPU. I upload at a rate of 90KiB to 100KiB with
Transmission BitTorrent and it is consuming less than a 1% of CPU
power, and of course there is this factor of refreshing the motion
picture (video) images but, then again, it occurs while Ekiga is
connected to peer.

[reply]

Linphone does not consume as much as Ekiga does while displaying the
same image, but Linphone is not generating anything in this situation,
it is merely displaying output.

NOTE: Linphone is the Callee (Called side) and Ekiga is the Caller.

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms