Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Trunk sources

Le 01/06/2010 23:50, Peter Robinson a écrit :
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Julien Puydt<jpuydt free fr>  wrote:
Le 01/06/2010 18:50, yannick a écrit :

Le mardi 01 juin 2010 à 15:50 +0200, Julien Puydt a écrit :

Well, it uses it through dbus, as far as I know -- so indeed it doesn't
binary-depend on it, but should nicely use it when available.

Then I probably mistaken this: did not Matthias used HAL for the hotplug
device system?

Yes, HAL through DBUS. So it's using HAL, but since it does it through a
proxy, we don't binary depend on it. At least that's how I understand it.

Also while we're on the topic of obsolete libraries what is the plan
for migrating from GConf to gsettings as that is also on the chopping
block for gnome 3? It might be a worthwhile time to review the
settings code as I think there's some custom gconf style code to deal
with windows as well, not sure if there's a windows backend for
gsettings at all, but if so it might be a nice way to unify that bit.

Here is how things work in ekiga :
- we have an abstraction called gmconf, which is used all over ekiga ;
- we have a gconf implementation of that abstraction, with a nice XML schema file containing the default settings ; - we have a glib implementation of the abstraction, which is able to read the schema file, and is portable -- that one is used when gconf isn't available, like for win32.

That means porting to GSettings should be pretty straightforward -- porting the big gconf schema file is what worries me most, but since it's XML, it should be possible to do it automatically.