[Ekiga-devel-list] H.239 Support

Hello all. Here's a little background before I get into the meat of the problem I'm asking about.

I'm a masters student at Georgia Tech in a distance learning program. My class actually meets face to face once every 3 weeks or so for class. The next group coming through the program will be sufficiently scattered around the country so as to require class meetings to happen over video conference. The distance learning folk here have decided on the ConferenceMe software for this purpose. Problem is, they made the assumption that all students will be using Windows. In both my group and the next, I know that there are plenty of people using non-windows OS's.

To remedy this and to give everyone a common platform, a co-worker/student of mine and myself put together an Ubuntu virtual machine that is to be used by all students and professors. We had identified Ekiga as the potential ConferenceMe replacement for this virtual machine, but are now experiencing some resistance due to the lack of H.239 support.

In addition to being students, my co-worker and I are also software engineers for Georgia Tech. We're interested in finding out about H.239 in Ekiga and where it's going. We may want to look into helping get this functionality into Ekiga. We are not experts in H.239, but we can certainly write code.

What is the state of H.239 in Ekiga? Is anyone working on it? If so, can we help? If not, does anyone have an idea as to the scope of such an implementation? If I read it right, it appears that the OPAL library supports H.239. Would it be as simple as wiring up the library to a GUI?

We have a large group here interested in helping open source projects that we can potentially draw from.

Thanks.

Drew Pihera