Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Reorganizing things

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le mercredi 02 septembre 2009 à 10:15 +0200, yannick a écrit :
>From a Fedora point of view the two "bugs" I see on a regular basis
are "Audio Problems" (will be fixed mostly by a Pulse Audio plugin set
as the default) and Network issues which are mostly Firewall and NAT
based. I think support for upnp would possibly fix most of those
issues for the average user. The would be the most useful features
from my point of view and the later would probably also help the issue
with ekiga.net "not working" mentioned elsewhere.

I see pulse audio as a good thing for the Linux audio stack; it provide
a unified test case of the major features and my hope is to see it
improve the situation at the end. (and IMHO it really needs improvements...)

The problem is that it is not designed for VoIP applications: it adds
latency.

I don't think the latency introduced by pulse is a big problem. Pulse, especially in its early days, had its warts, but I find its performance to be acceptable now. I've used pulse for VoIP and the latency is fine. Pulse obviously isn't the only solution, but it's a viable option and important those of us on systems that use it.

Dave