Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Contacts, groups and renaming : the future in questions

Le lundi 19 octobre 2009 à 17:06 +0200, Julien Puydt a écrit :
Hi,

here are some thoughts on the merged contact+presentity system we want
in ekiga 4.

The main idea is the following : with the current code, you choose a
contact in the evolution addressbook and copy some of it over to the
roster. This works pretty well, but has a few consequences : what if you
rename the contact in evolution? Or change precisely the phone number
you pushed to the roster? The current code just doesn't keep track of
the changes : you have to edit the name and the phone number in the
roster again (first time was in evolution).

So we want to keep track of where the informations came from, so we get
notified when they get updated. And we want to be able to "merge" those
informations like this : we want a user who knows, say Damien through
ekiga.net (SIP) and through jabber.org (XMPP), to be able to join both.
That's doable, and I already made some changes to ease things.

But this organization has a few problems which I would like to discuss.
Let's imagine I have a contact "Mr Doe", which I know through :
- a read-only XCAP server, where he belongs to both the "Foo" and "Bar"
groups ;
- a read-write XMPP roster, where he belongs to both the "Bar" and "Baz"
groups.
We have in effect three contacts :
- the elementary XCAP contact ;
- the elementary XMPP contact ;
- the merged contact.

Here is now a list of questions, with the answers how I see them :
(*) should we allow renaming the XCAP contact? No.
(*) should we allow renaming the XMPP contact? Yes.
(*) should we allow renaming the merged contact? Yes, but that name will
then hide the other two names, and hence won't get updated anymore.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Foo" group? No.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Baz" group? Yes.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Bar" group? No.
(*) should we allow removing the XCAP contact? No.
(*) should we allow removing the XMPP contact? Yes.
(*) should we allow removing the merged contact? Yes (though that can
become hairy).
(*)

I made slight changes to the current which make it possible to easily
modify the existing code to have nice elementary contact+presentity.
It's not done but it's reasonably there.

I'm a little unsure if my ideas for the merged contact+presentity, so
didn't code them yet (though it is my hope that it would be simple).
It's definitely still at the drawing board stage, but shouldn't be
difficult or long once we know what we want to do.

It's pretty clear the current gui won't be good enough to deal with the
new organization : it should be able to show the merged
contact+presentity objects organized in groups, and allow unroll/roll
operations on them to look at the specific elementary contact+presentity
objects within. And of course, I guess we will want easy drag'n drop.
This will be hard and long, especially since I'm definitely not gifted
when it comes to gtk+ work.

Comments welcome (especially if it comes with code for the gui)

It looks good.

What about the API proposal you have in mind ?
(a basic draft about the various classes that will be involved is enough).

Damien Sandras

http://www.ekiga.org
http://www.beip.be