Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Contacts, groups and renaming : the future in questions

Eugen Dedu a écrit :
Julien Puydt wrote:
Hi,

here are some thoughts on the merged contact+presentity system we want
in ekiga 4.

The main idea is the following : with the current code, you choose a
contact in the evolution addressbook and copy some of it over to the
roster. This works pretty well, but has a few consequences : what if you
rename the contact in evolution? Or change precisely the phone number
you pushed to the roster? The current code just doesn't keep track of
the changes : you have to edit the name and the phone number in the
roster again (first time was in evolution).

Isn't better to just store "links" to sources instead of copying them
into the roster?  The ideal thing is that there is a server, evolution,
storing contacts, and all the other applications which only point to
them.  Thus, when you modify a contact, all the applications see the change.

That's exactly what is planned.

So we want to keep track of where the informations came from, so we get
notified when they get updated. And we want to be able to "merge" those
informations like this : we want a user who knows, say Damien through
ekiga.net (SIP) and through jabber.org (XMPP), to be able to join both.
That's doable, and I already made some changes to ease things.

But this organization has a few problems which I would like to discuss.
Let's imagine I have a contact "Mr Doe", which I know through :
- a read-only XCAP server, where he belongs to both the "Foo" and "Bar"
groups ;
- a read-write XMPP roster, where he belongs to both the "Bar" and "Baz"
groups.
We have in effect three contacts :
- the elementary XCAP contact ;
- the elementary XMPP contact ;
- the merged contact.

Here is now a list of questions, with the answers how I see them :
(*) should we allow renaming the XCAP contact? No.
(*) should we allow renaming the XMPP contact? Yes.
(*) should we allow renaming the merged contact? Yes, but that name will
then hide the other two names, and hence won't get updated anymore.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Foo" group? No.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Baz" group? Yes.
(*) should we allow renaming the "Bar" group? No.
(*) should we allow removing the XCAP contact? No.
(*) should we allow removing the XMPP contact? Yes.
(*) should we allow removing the merged contact? Yes (though that can
become hairy).
(*)

I do not know these protocols, and maybe my idea is wrong, but:

There are two groups, local and distant ones, linked together.  Local
group name is copied/initialised from the distant one, but it can be
changed afterwards.  Maybe the same for user names...

Well, that's what I had in mind for the name, but there's a little problem to do the same for groups : they're not a single string, they're a list.

So if we go the "the list on the merged contact+presentity hides the list of the elementary contact+presentity members" way, then when the user adds our contact+presentity to a new group through another mean, then ekiga won't update that anymore.

And if we go the "the list on the merged contact+presentity adds itself to the lists of the elementary contact+presentity members" way, then: 1. you still haven't decided what you allow on the groups which appear in several elementary contact+presentity ; 2. when you have an elementary contact+presentity in a "Bingo" group, with a merged contact+presentity in a "Bingo" group and you allow renaming that last one... the user renames to "Sigh", and the contact+presentity ends up in both "Bingo" and "Sigh"...

Hope I'm clear :-/