Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Improving the GNOME experience : request for help

On 6/26/07, Kilian Krause <kk verfaction de> wrote:
Hi David,

first, sorry for the delay. I thought I should take my time to get the
answers more comprehensible, but I guess before this will not get
answered at all, I'll just jumpstart and whoever thinks it's not clear
enough, please bug me with questions. ;)

No worries.  I haven't got very far with tasks 1 to 4 yet.

> > > The existing repositories will be built from the repository the release
> > > maintainer will build. Currently, each time I receive a package, I need
> > > to scp it to ekiga.org. That is time consuming for me. Every release, I
> > > loose a few hours on that instead of coding.
> >
> > Could a release manager extend the script that builds the nightly
> > snapshots to also make release packages?  Does the build script
> > automatically slurp the library tarballs or CVS down from Sourceforge?
>
> I don't really know, Kilian is handling that script, he is in CC.
> Notice you will have to use specific branches and tags, so the script
> should be made generic. You do not need to build on all distributions,
> you just need to create the tarballs and test.

Well, the problem with release packs is not really with packaging, but
with Craig and the official tarballs on voxgratia.org. These tarballs
should be well tested (as is the case with CVS snaps already), so we
might want to introduce an extra snapshots part for the other branches.

Killian,  Which code does your nightly build script take from the
OpenH323 project now:  HEAD, an official tarball from voxgratia.org or
a tarball fom sourceforge?

For this, my current script doesn't scale too well, but I'm willing to
put it onto public webspace for review. As the generation of package
sources is done outside in an extra script anyway, this will scale
pretty nicely once the checkout script can do more than one branch. The
main problem with this is that the config should reside in the SVN/CVS
of the project, so that upstream maintainers can choose the mappings.
For this we'd need to put up a map like:
HEAD => ekiga-snapshots
gnome-2-18 => ekiga-2-18
etc.

From there the question is how to handle the library dependencies with
these snapshots. For example HEAD can be built with HEAD libs, but
gnome-2-18 should be built with Phobos or some other branch.

If you can come up with a scheme that can do this kind of mapping in a
flexible and scalable config (so that my script will be able to
read it and make packs non-interactively), I'll be happy to include it.

I think if we are making snapshots for GNOME testers every 2 to 4
weeks, we _could_ try a half-way house:  edit your checkout script
manually.  If it looks useful to have more frequent tarball sets, we
can try to automate it.

I think that it would also be useful to have a human readable mapping
of library dependencies in a README file in SVN (unless it is already
there.)

I want to make it quick and easy.  Not for my sake, but in case
someone else is compiling it in a hurry (say for a security bug - God
forbid), they can quickly check out their own branch/tag tarballs for
their new source deb / rpm / port.

> > Finally, do you think the package maintainers could be persuaded to
> > upload packages (or package definition files) to a stable location?
> > Or do they do this already?
>
> We could do that if somebody setups the server.

That kind of archive should be possible on archive.buildserver.net. In
that case the RPMs would mingle just nicely in between the
deb-structure. For now we don't export the urpmi and ap4rpm style lists,
but this could be added to the dak if someone stands up to doing this.
The ideas are all there. ;)

Is archive.buildserver.net a place where you can grant upload rights
to package builders ?

For the repository itself, my plan for 2.0.10 is just to make a
private directory tree on a server of mine, give Damien rsync/ssh
access, and allow him to mirror it onto www.ekiga.org

If people need urpmi etcetera I guess they can create it and submit it
to you.  However, I think the ekiga.org repository is only a place for
test packages and the Windows release, so perhaps people don't find
package install automation too important there (though the apt source
seems quite popular!)

I think the unix downstream maintainers - the distributions and BSD
ports collections - should get ekiga, opal and pwlib tarballs from
gnome.org.

--
David