Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Improving the GNOME experience : request for help

As you guessed, I am interested in volunteering for 1 to 4 (I don't
fully understand 5 yet - questions below.))

I don't have a track record in release management.  My only
credentials are that I am interested, I know how to use rsync and to
do CVS and SVN checkouts.   It is a long while since I built Ekiga
from source.  Interested?

Oh - and I am based in the UK - anyone know if that could cause patent
problems for the project?

On 6/7/07, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> Are releases to gnome.org after each release on ekiga.org, or simultaneous?

Simultaneous. You should release there before ekiga.org.

OK.  I can make time to do manage these releases - but not at short
notice and not during the working day.  The key to me making time
would be to freeze SVN (or a branch of SVN) a few days before so that
I could have some time to make the tarballs and test them, and double
check the uploads and links from the release announcement and website
are ready for the release.

> > 5) Build a repository
>
> What are the issues with the existing repositories?

The existing repositories will be built from the repository the release
maintainer will build. Currently, each time I receive a package, I need
to scp it to ekiga.org. That is time consuming for me. Every release, I
loose a few hours on that instead of coding.

Could a release manager extend the script that builds the nightly
snapshots to also make release packages?  Does the build script
automatically slurp the library tarballs or CVS down from Sourceforge?

Finally, do you think the package maintainers could be persuaded to
upload packages (or package definition files) to a stable location?
Or do they do this already?

> > Also, regularly, that person should upload the required OPAL and PWLIB
> > dependencies for the SVN version to GNOME.org.

Where on gnome.org do copies of OPAL and PWLIB go?  I did not find
them on svn.gnome.org.

David