Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Wishes: remove flicker (50Hz) of video in Ekiga, increase resolution to 640x480, zoom function

hi vatbier,

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le jeudi 07 septembre 2006 à 15:35 -0700, vatbier a écrit :

When I look in Ekiga at my own video of my webcam there is a flicker
(maybe 50Hz?)? I find it annoying.

report to the uvc driver developers devlist or just dont use flourescent lamps, a problem for every image sensor, even professional TV studio cameras, the cameras firmware should do that, besides. if youre in an office environment, complain to the electrician company who has build the office's flourescent lights without 3 phase shifting. a violation of electrical building assembling standards and therefore a warranty case.
I haven't used yet Ekiga to my sister (she must first get a webcam
too).

then pls wait until Your setup is fully together, i dont like to comment on "hypothetics".

Will my sister see this flicker or will the video that's been
transmitted to her have no flicker? Will the H.261 QCIF Video Codec
remove the flicker?

there can be no flicker over home users net, because of low transfer framerate, pls try adjusting your vga cards vertical refresh frequency in XF86Config or trash a defective display or vga card.

In WinXP my Logitech QuickCam Fusion software has an option to remove
flicker (50Hz) from video.

Hm, I see at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Intermediate_Format
that QCIF has these video resolutions:
QCIF: 176 × 144, QCIF+:  176 × 220
Does this mean that Ekiga can only send out a video with resolution
176x220 ? My Logitech QuickCam Fusion webcam can do 640x480.

I don't know what's the flicker, but I think it is soemthing that should
be related to your driver.

Currently, Ekiga can only do 176x144. In the next few weeks, thanks to
the hard work of Craig, it will also be able to do 352x288.

Second Wish: a video codec that can send over 640x480 video
resolutions.

I know no free codec that can do that with a reasonable bandwidth for
home users.

h.264, there a free projects around but maybe not mature enough, yet, and U.S. patent issues.

Third wish: a zoom function for video. Now in Ekiga my head is small
compared to entire picture.

Go in the View menu, you can apply a 2x zoom on the picture.

In WinXP with the webcam software I can adjust the zoom. I don't know
whether this is digital zoom or a real mechanical function of the
webcam's lens.
Or should I ask this to the makers of uvcvideo video driver that they
implement the zoom function of my Logitech webcam?

no. user space program's work. and RTFM, zooming is already in ekiga.
and stop comparing paid winXP and proprietary toys with linux sw, pls, we've other priorities than just copying window$ and proprietary software features.

Fourth wish: add File Transfer function to Ekiga

denied. IRC DCC, FTP, or SSH is sufficent for file transfer on UNIX/LINUX and more secure and stable, and open standards, get used to it. we dont need 10 messengers like msn or aim on linux around, the only reason for their existence is that window$ lacks standard internet capabillities and protocols and prefers proprietary protocols. we dont really need and support that messenger proprietary protocol chaos on linux, never.

forseeable no budget for such luxury wishes, i think.
if you want all that in pls donate at least 150 US$ to ekiga.org project as you payed license fees for winXP and the windows driver of the webcam, thx. ;)

vatbier

tom