Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Some points on the EKIGA/OPAL video plugin

Hi,

--- Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 26 octobre 2006 à 19:46 +0200, Matthias Schneider a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > thank you for the quick answers. First of all I would like to comment on my question about the
> > missing video codec in the ekiga codec list with a dynamic payload type - I tried
> opalcodecinfo on
> > a video codec with dynamic payload type and it reported everything quite fine (dynamically
> > assigning payload types) - so the problem must be something with the ekiga video codec list...
> The
> > only thing I did is (it can be tried out with H.261 for example) to change the RTP PT from 31
> to 0
> > and changing the RTPTypeExplicit flag to RTPTypeDynamic.
> >

> I am almost sure there is no problem on Ekiga. If there was one, other
> codecs wouldn't be displayed at all. But I suggest you trying to
> determine the root cause of the problem, perhaps a patch is needed.
> Notice that codecs do not necessarily have the same media format name
> for H.323 and for SIP, for that reason, Ekiga is doing a merge of all
> media formats available for H.323 and for SIP, and presents that list to
> the user. If I was not doing so, you would have dozens of codecs
> displayed.

Ok, I located the problem in manager.cpp lines 286- :

      if (sip_list [i].GetPayloadType () == h323_list [j].GetPayloadType ()
          && sip_list [i].GetBandwidth () == h323_list [j].GetBandwidth ()) {

        full_list += sip_list [i];
        full_list += h323_list [j];
      }
So only one codec description is inserted in the table if PTs and Bandwidth settings match between
h323 and sip instance. However if the codec is registered with dynamic payload, it gets assigned
different payload type values (can be checked with opalcodecinfo, in this example I only modfified
the RTPExplicit flag to RTPDynamic in the h261 plugin):
              H.261-CIF  video, bandwidth=621700, RTP=114, h323=yes, sip=no
             H.261-QCIF  video, bandwidth=621700, RTP=115, h323=yes, sip=no
                  H.261  video, bandwidth=621700, RTP=96, h323=no, sip=yes
So how can we correct this problem? Do the comparison on another basis than the PT?

.. deleted...

> > > setting
> > > kbyte/s.
> > > >

> > > It will change in the future.
> > >

> > Thank you very much, so there is no more need for further action from my part?
>
> If you provide a patch, the future = now ;-)

Ok, included two patches, one that only increases the max settable rate to 256 kybte/s and the
other one that additionally changes the settings to kbit/s (which is what I would prefer, however
I am not the only one...).

> bitrate
> > >
> > > It could be a nice idea, yes.
> >
> > Ok, so what would have to be done? Where should we run the framecounter, in the plugin or in
> OPAL
> > (e.g. increase it every time a packet with a markbit is received)? Where should I look for the
> > interface to ekiga? Over what timeframe are the bitrate values calculated?
>
> You can do it in opal or in GDKVideoOutputDevice in videoutput.cpp from
> Ekiga.

Ok, I am working on that...