Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] new XVideo patch

Hi Damien,

--- Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this patch!
>
> I had quickly a first look at it.
>
> I don't really have any comment (only the formatting of the code needs
> to change a bit), but it corresponds to what we discussed.

Yes, thats true, I planned tio work on that anyway...

> I just wonder, why did you add a new PIP in external window mode?
> (I think it is a great idea, when ekiga is hidden, so we'll keep it for
> course, but I wondered if there was some technical reason behind it).

Hm, for me from the start on I onlky wanted an extra window with Pip functionality since I usually
minimize the phone when in a video call. Also notice the "d" key with which you can disable the
decorations and e.g. park it in the upper left corner of the screen and continue working. Actually
also this is the idea on which I based my XVWindow class.

> Some random thoughts:
> - Perhaps that SDL should become a new videooutput too, like XV and GTK
The problem I see there is that a separate GTK and SDL class would not cover all features (window
mode, fullscreen, etc), we would have a SDL class witout window mode and GTK class without
fullscreen, I dont really know how to abstract this to the videooutputclass..

> - Perhaps the complexity of gm_main_window_update_video should/could
> move to one of the videooutput classes

I do concur on that, it should move to videoutput_gdk and rely on main.cpp only for something like
I do with gm_main_window_get_video_widget(). However I do not know yet how deeply it is interwoven
with the rest of main.cpp

> I don't really know :)
>
> But the new code (mine, not yours), with the frames, is actually quite
> CPU intensive.
>
> XV support will definitely be a great feature of 3.00!

It would be great to see that code in ekiga!

> Le dimanche 19 novembre 2006 à 22:28 +0100, Matthias Schneider a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > enclosed a new version of my XVideo patch for ekiga I have already posted a few month ago. The
> new
> > version supports the embedded video windos like the gdk output. Also, in case Xvideo is not
> > supported a fallback to GDK should take place (I implemented this by using a stub
> > videooutputdevice class that instanciates the XV videoouputdevice and, in case it is not
> > available, a GDK videooutputdevice). This patch is against the latest CVS version. In order to
> use
> > the XV extension, apply the patch with patch -p0, copy the other files to src/devices, then
> run
> > autogen.sh.
> >
> > Right now there are only two (minor) issues still in the implementation:
> > - The position of the embedded video window is not yet correct. I have not yet found out how
> > calculate its position...
> > - When switching from an external window to fullscreen and back the window will move down.
> This is
> > due to the decoration of the window which isnt taken into account when backing up the state
> when
> > going into fullscreen. I am still investigating how to correct this.
> >
> > I would like to welcome feedback of any kind,
> > Matthias

> Damien Sandras

Matthias