Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] alsa and ekiga

Le mercredi 30 août 2006 à 02:25 +0200, Renato Serodio a écrit :
> Hello there,
>
> thanks for your answers. Indeed, I've got Ekiga and xmms running now:
> I changed everything relevant to 'default' (in/out and events).
>
> I still get choppy sound, though. The stats panel does show the jitter
> buffer going beyond 500ms. Then I increased the size to 1000ms, and it
> was alright! Oh, and the jitter buffer in the stats panel didn't go
> over 100ms... I'm puzzled!

Check wiki.ekiga.org, there are a few tips for various .asoundrc which
could improve the jitter. 1000 is too much, 100 is much too.

> In any case, I guess my library might still be 1.0.11, since I only
> updated the kernel modules - haven't had time to make packages for the
> tools, utils and lib.
>
> Well, I only had the opportunity of trying the test number, which gave
> my voice back with a delay rather larger than with other softphones.
> Can this have something to do with the codec?

It is due to the fact that you are using "Default" with DMIX enabled.
Could you please test the .asoundrc files on wiki.ekiga.org and see if
it works better?

If it is the case, please report a bug to ALSA, I'd like to see this
fixed but they don't listen to me :(

> Oh, by the way, isn't iLBC shipped with Ekiga anymore? If so, was it
> replaced by a better, free-er thing? Is it possible to add it
> manually?

It should still be there. But it is not enabled on ekiga.net.
SPEEX Wideband is now the default.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net