Re: Thank you...

Hello Don,

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:10:41 -0500 Texas Echo 262 <txecho262 gmail com> wrote:

I'm a new Ubuntu Studio User.  Long time Internet Radio Broadcaster...  The
one thing that matters to me the most at the moment is my Music Collection
Tags.  As I use Windows 10, and use SAM Broadcaster as my main Broadcasting
Program.  Fixing Tags on the fly, within SAM broadcaster, only last during
that time you've edited that tag.  Learned the hard way fixing tags within
SAM, and manually fixed those tags, to only find out as soon as I closed
SAM Broadcaster.. All my "Fixes" didn't fix the tags.

So I had to go into my file system and fix those tags again manually. Now
my Question is this. I have put all my music on a External Drive, to Listen
and to Verify all my music Tracks, with their tag. Now that I have Ubuntu
Studio Server setup, can I take that External Drive and plug it into my
Linux Box, and use EasyTag?  On that Drive, fixing all my tags and then
still be able to plug that Drive back into my Windows 10 Machine and
transfer all my corrected tags back into my SAM Broadcaster Database?  To
be able to Broadcast without having and issues with the files.. as they are
all MP3 files. Linux/Ubuntu OS is way different than Windows is... I do not
feel like losing my collection again, and I don't want to spend a week or
more Ripping my Music CD Collection back on my computer..  It's not fun,
and takes at least 8 hours a day for a week to Rip 500 Plus Store Bought
Music CD's...Of which 5 of those CD's are Mis tagged from the CD
Manufacturer...

I second what Nicholas said, and in addition, I'd say that since you're
more or less in a migration process, and since we (or at least I) know
nothing about SAM Broadcaster, it will be difficult to provide precise
clues or to get ideas about what may go wrong in interacting with SAM
and other software. Migration has been my deal for almost two decades
so the only piece of advice I'll give you is:
- make sure you have a backup of you precious data, if you don't have
  one, please really consider this, and if you don't at least imagine
  how you would feel if you discover that a bug in one of the tool
  you'll use (including your hand and brain) irremediably alters or
  destroy your files.
- experiment the process (whatever it is) with a short but
  representative sample. The most important thing here is to set this
  sample up.
- if you have time and no confidence enough (addiction to
  time-measuring and over-self-confidence are diseases which lead
  humans to do wrong things to themselves and the rest of the world):
  experiment with a broader selective set plus a random selection.
- process to the migration itself, in your case and if I've understood
  correctly: editing tags w/ easytag (windows or linux) then making use
  of the edited music files back to SAM.

Regards,

--
wwp