Re: Updating OGG tags on Windows

Hi Nicholas

On 2016-11-14 12:51, Nicholas Sheppard <nps nps id au> wrote:
I applied the patches, re-compiled, and tried changing the tags on a
couple of OGG albums in my collection. EasyTAG changed the tags without
any complaints on Windows, and both the Linux version of EasyTAG 2.4.2
and vorbiscomment agree that the changes are correct.

That is excellent news!

I also checked that the files play correctly in Windows Media Player,
VLC (on Windows) and mplayer (on Linux). They all play fine but I
noticed that mplayer reports that the file contains an "invalid packet",
e.g.:
…
Mplayer didn't report any invalid packets with the same file modified
using EasyTAG 2.4.2 on Linux. The Linux-modified and Windows-modified
files have slightly different sizes (7423574 vs 7427533 bytes) and cmp
says they differ near the beginning of the file. Since the files play
just fine so far as my ear can tell I'm not sure if there's any real
problem here but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case. There
are probably also numerous other differences between my Linux system and
my Windows system that might account for the difference in the files.

There is no difference in EasyTAG in the Ogg tag writing code between Windows and Linux versions. However, it could be that you have an old version of libogg on Windows (the latest in stable Fedora versions for MinGW is 1.3.0, whereas in Fedora proper it is 1.3.2). I checked the git log, and there are a couple of commits between 1.3.0 and 1.3.2 that could affect how packets are written to Ogg streams.

You could try the latest mingw-libogg version from Fedora 25 and see if it fixes the problem:

This was all done by applying the patches in your previous e-mail to the
vanilla EasyTAG 2.4.2 source code, cross-compiling with Mingw32 on
Fedora, then copying the new easytag.exe over the old easytag.exe in a
copy of the Windows distribution. Somehow I configured EasyTAG 2.4.2 and
cross-compiled EasyTAG 2.4.2 a few weeks ago without any trouble, but I
don't remember exactly what I did and I wasn't able to get a completely
fresh build tree to configure itself over the weekend.

I normally do something along the lines of:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG/MinGW

in a fresh clone (you can get to that with "git clean -dfx"). Nothing has changed in the build system in the last week, so it was probably not as EasyTAG problem per se. If you run into any more problems, please let me know the error and I will try to help.

--
http://amigadave.com/