Genre tag always showing certain predefined genre

I use custom strings for genres on my MP3s. Whenever I load them in EasyTag 2.2.2 it displays them all as
"Blues." If I enter any text in the genre field and save, the next time that fils is loaded it will be
"Blues" again. I have tried checking "Write Genre in text only" and also unchecking "Write ID3v1.x tag" but
it doesn't seem to make any difference. After a bit more investigation it looks like the tags are at least
being written correctly... it is a display or loading issue in EasyTag... maybe related to the combo control?
Anyone have a suggestion for a fix?