Re: First time using Easy-Tag questions

On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 08:47 +0800, Weiwu Zhang wrote:
Got it, thanks. One other question, if a file name is in red what does
it mean?

This is a second question, you can do better by starting a new email.
One topic per email is better:)

But it also is an old question, I guess. I am a newcome myself and I
digged this out of email archives:

This version supports MP3 tag version 2.4 instead of 2.3.
So, if it found an old version of tag, it proposes to you to upgrade (by saving) to the new version. \
If you don't want this, you could disable "convert old tag" in the preferences window.

I think this is a design fault. It is counter-intuitive. Besides,
there are good reasons to stay with 2.3: my portable MP3 player, for
example, only support MP3Tag up to 2.3 and they don't release a
firmware to recognize 2.4 because too few 2.4 files are there. The
only good reason to force upgrade ID3 tag is that it contains
characters outside of ASCII while it uses a version of ID3 that
doesn't support these characters.

The developers may chose to force upgrade on saving because writing
tag in the same version of how it was stored may present a software
development challange that the project doesn't have resource to
overcome (or have better things to do).

You're right, should have made it a new question, thanks for the
information though. I think I'd better dig through the archives in the
next few days to see what I can glean from them.

Chris

--
Chris
31.11°N 97.89°W (Elev. 1092 ft)