Re: Installing easytag on Mac OS X using Homebrew

Hi Julien

On 2014-04-15 22:27, Julien Feltesse <julien feltesse gmail com> wrote:
These past couple of releases I've been maintaining the Homebrew formula
for easytag so that people can easily get it to run on their macs.
I'm now trying to update the formula to easytag 2.2.0 / GTK3 and I'd have a
couple of questions (I'm no GTK hacker, bear with me please):

Thanks for your efforts! Have you seen the work that has already been done on getting EasyTAG to build into a bundle for Mac OS:

https://github.com/rfw/easytag-mac

Now that master is using exclusively GTK+ 3, it would be great to merge the bits which are still relevant (after porting to GtkApplication) and to make a release with Mac OS support. I would really like for the necessary build infrastructure to create an app bundle to be maintained inside EasyTAG, as with the MinGW support for building Windows installers.

- I can get it to compile and run fine but some icons are missing at
runtime (see screenshot at http://imgur.com/jUw5ZGs ).
Anyone knows why this happens and possibly how to fix it?
I believe the responsible commit to be
https://git.gnome.org/browse/easytag/commit/?id=f9ba26275bd9901535fc11dfd7ae02202a3d5ad2

That is the "insert-text" icon, taken from the icon theme. The GNOME icon theme has an icon for this in various sizes. I think that you need either 16x16 pixels or 24x24 pixels (and possibly the corresponding 2x variant for high-DPI support):

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/plain/gnome/24x24/actions/insert-text.png

The "folder-open" and "audio-x-generic" icons also appear to be missing.

Additionally, you seem to be missing a GTK+ 3 theme, which would make the UI look considerably more native.

- What libs are actually needed and at what step (build VS runtime). The
README mentions for instance taglib and id3lib but not including libid3tag
makes mp3 files not appear for instance.

The libraries are needed at build-time (and also at run-time, of course), and the configure script outputs a summary listing which support is enabled. You can look in the configure script (probably the configure.ac file is easier) to see which libraries are required.

libid3tag is needed for ID3 support, and id3lib is needed for ID3v2.3 support. Realistically, both are needed for usable ID3 (MP3) support. I have pushed a commit which adds a line in the README about the libid3tag requirement.

My current easytag 2.2.0 / GTK3 formula:
https://github.com/robotvert/homebrew/blob/46cbbe662c290037e49d9cb7155399f90f721ec1/Library/Formula/easy-tag.rb

mp4v2 is no longer a dependency, and you may also want to add Ogg Opus support (which needs libopus and libopusfile). I guess that Yelp does not build on Mac OS, so you likely want a similar ifdef to that for Windows (which hides the Contents menu item in the Help menu). For the parallel make install failure, can it be fixed inside EasyTAG?

Thanks again for your packaging efforts!

--
http://amigadave.com/