Re: Easy Tag Genre List

Hi Charles

Please see my replies below.

On 2013-05-27 11:22, Charles Taylor <howlshigh gmail com> wrote:
I have been a religious user of Easy Tag for 2-3 years and have finally got
annoyed with the lack of attention to the Genre list, which is now listing
Styles Of Genre. It's a shame to see people without understanding of the
difference between a Genre and Style of Genre.

The list of genres comes from the original ID3 (version 1) tagging scheme, which was an informal standard that was extended by a variety of applications. The initial ID3 scheme consisted of 80 genres, and the most commonly-accepted genre list for ID3 contains around 126 genres:

http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/Recommendations/genre_codes.htm

Recent tagging schemes use a free-form genre field, so that any text may be used for the genre, as well as allowing multiple genres.

You should not take the list as an indicator of the level of understanding of the author, but merely as a reflection of the tagging scheme used in EasyTAG and many other applications.

A music genre is a conventional category that identifies pieces of music as
belonging to a shared tradition or set of conventions. It is to be
distinguished from musical form and musical style, although in practice
these terms are sometimes used interchangeably.

This paragraph is the introduction to a Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre

The article goes on to discuss that:

“these classifications are often arbitrary and controversial, and some genres may overlap.”

Given the imprecision of genres, I think it is unreasonable to impose a strict classification scheme.

Here are some examples.
Thrash Metal is a style of the Rock genre crossed with the Electronic genre.
Acid Jazz is a style of the Jazz genre, and in some cases, crossed with the
Electronic genre.
Dance is a style of the Electronic genre.

In truth the Genre list should be small and contain only recognised Genre's
as listed here.

Blues
Brass & Military
Children's
Classical
Electronic
Folk
Funk / Soul
Hip Hop
Jazz
Latin
Non-Music
Pop
Reggae
Rock
Stage & Screen
World & Country

It is not currently possible to restrict the genre to a user-defined set with EasyTAG. It could be added, but it is not a feature that I am interested in working on at the moment.

--
http://amigadave.com/