Re: Feature request: move ~/.easytag to a proper place (~/.config, ~/.local ...)

Hi Andraž

On 2013-05-17 13:34, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie codemages net> wrote:
:2013-05-17T11:53:David King:
Would you care to explain why? Using GSettings instead of the custom
configuration management in EasyTAG at the moment will simplify a lot of code
in EasyTAG. Additionally, it will be possible to directly bind widget
properties to settings and have changes take effect immediately.

Because some of us don't like having elaborate registry like datastorage
system around. I can appreciate that it reduces code clutter and allows
for some things to work differently - I'm just not happy with this
        abstraction when it comes to managing config files.

As a user of EasyTAG, there should be little difference between using GSettings and using the current configuration system, besides the benefits of GSettings which I already mentioned. As a developer, GSettings will allow me to remove a significant amount of code in EasyTAG and to instead use well-tested code from GIO, which I find appealing.

Do you instead mean that you do not wish to use dconf, the configuration database that is commonly used as the GSettings backend on Linux? dconf can be configured to write configuration to text files, if you prefer, although that setup does not have all the benefits of the database-backed dconf.

--
http://amigadave.com/