Re: [Easytag-mailing] A weekend of EasyTAG hacking, and a request for review

On 2012-11-27 12:06, David King <amigadave amigadave com> wrote:
This leads me to a suggestion, which is that maybe it would be better to
take the GTK+ 2 and build system updates that I have, together with some
distribution patches, and make a release containing those, releasing a
GTK+ 3-compatible version after that. I think that this would be better
for distributions and users, as it is a phased migration away from the
old GTK+ 2 UI and dependency, and should hopefully remove the need for
most of the current distribution patches. As an example roadmap:

* merge my GTK+ 2 and build system changes, fix outstanding open bugs
  (https://github.com/stsquad/easytag/issues?page=1&state=open) and
  release 2.1.8
* merge GTK+ 3 changes (I should complete those within a week or two)
  and release a 2.1.9 with an optional GTK+ 3 UI
* make a 2.2.0 release with a GTK+ 3-only UI, where GTK+ 3-only features
  are used for the first time

I went ahead and hacked up a version with minimal GTK+ 3 support, which is now available on github in the same location as previously:

https://github.com/amigadave/easytag/tree/autotools

After playing with the GTK+ 3 port, there seem to be several inconsistencies, so I have marked the feature as experimental (in the configure script) and made GTK+ 2 the default. Run configure (or autogen.sh) with the "--with-gtk3" argument to enable GTK+ 3 support. I would be happy for the current state, plus a few more fixes, to be released as 2.1.8, followed by a 2.1.9 release after some GTK+ 3 UI inconsistencies have been fixed.

I have not tested the Windows build, the Debian package nor the .spec file, so those could do with being checked and updated.

In addition to the GTK+ 3 changes, I merged some downstream patches from distributions and applied various other minor fixes. Please test the changes thoroughly and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

--
http://amigadave.com/