Re: [Easytag-mailing] A weekend of EasyTAG hacking, and a request for review

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 20:52 +0000, David King wrote:
> Hi EasyTAG hackers!
>
> I spent the weekend hacking on EasyTAG, with the intent of updating the
> build system to be a bit nicer. I got a little carried away and went
> through the codebase applying fixes and modernisations. I pushed my
> results to github:
>
> https://github.com/amigadave/easytag/compare/autotools
>
> Unfortunately, I was not aware of Santtu Lakkala's great work on porting
> EasyTAG to GTK+ 3 before I started, but it was a very fun weekend
> nonetheless. :-)
>
> The main difference in my branch compared to Santtu's is that I did not
> work on GTK+ 3 porting at all yet; my goal was just to modernise the use
> of GTK+ 2 throughout EasyTAG so that a future GTK+ 3 port would be
> easier. My branch depends on GTK+ 2.24, which seems reasonable as it was
> released in January 2011, and it makes the future GTK+ 3 changes quite a
> bit easier. I also made the build process depend on newer versions of
> automake and autoconf, but I dropped the dependency on libtool. I added
> a dependency on intltool for the internationalisation support, as it
> makes the build process easier than using the old (and now deprecated)
> GLib gettext macros.
>
> Even though I split the changes into smaller commits, there is still a
> lot of code churn, and I have not reached a point where I am completely
> satisfied. There are still many compiler warnings which need fixing
> (although I did fix a few in passing) and browsing through the whole
> codebase I came across some rather questionable code! I will hopefully
> have some more time to work on my branch, especially over Christmas,
> with the intent of adding GTK+ 3 support and making some incremental
> improvements, so I would appreciate some review from others, who are
> likely more experienced with the EasyTAG codebase than myself. I think
> it is best that discussions are on the mailing list rather than on the
> commits in github, as I am likely to rebase the branch every now and
> again, and the mailing list is archived and more visible.
>
> Thanks

Hey David. Thanks a lot for all the work you've done. Although I haven't
taken a look at your branch, I am a bit worried because, as you said,
Santtu's also been patching EasyTAG in his own branch to migrate to GTK
+3. I'm not very good with Git, my background's more with SVN and Bzr,
so I am pretty weak with merges into our mainline.

I think maybe the best thing to do would be for you to merge Santtu's
GTK+3 updates into your repository, combining with your updates of code
fixes and upgrading the build environment. If you can get a clean merge
and build, I'll then try to pull your changes into mainline.

If the community is comfortable with the resulting build, I will build
and upload a new release on the site.

Take care,

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer