Re: [Easytag-mailing] No "Album Artist" Field or Equivalent

Hi.

Michael Short <mdshort gmail com> enlightened the world by writing these
words of wisdom:
> In any case, while mp3tag does not offer this field, it is possible to
> set the tag manually by adding an extra editor field "band". EasyTag
> does not have this flexibility, so I am personally petitioning that
> EasyTag be equipped with an Album Artist field which edits the band
> field in all ID3 based music files. The discovery of this tag's
> functionality has made managing my music collection so much easier,
> because there are lots of "Various Artist" CD's out there which
> confuses software into thinking that each artist on the CD has its own
> album entitled itself, which is very messy and unnecessary. On my Zune
> device I can toggle whether my artists are displayed using the
> "Artist" or "AlbumArtist". This prevents people from having to
> concatenate 30+ title names with artist names, causing EasyTag to
> truncate the Title and ultimately destroy music metadata.

I would also suggest adding a ``Compilation'' field, which can also be
helpful to deal with such ``Various Artists'' releases. I noticed the
behaviour you described in iTunes and on my iPod - both split
compilations up and seem to behave only correctly when I said both the
``AlbumArtist'' field to ``Various Artists'' and the ``Compilation''
field to ``1'' (iTunes has a Checkbox for this).

Nowadays I tag most of my collection with the MusicBrainz tagger Picard,
which sets both fields correctly for compilations and generally saves me
a lot of work with its automatic fingerprint based tagging. I still use
EasyTag for any manuall tagging work, i.e. for releases not in the
MusicBrainz database or to fix tags of some single files.

But since there is no way to set ``AlbumArtist'' or ``Compilation'' I
have to set those tags manually in Picard, which sucks hard. I have to
use two different applications to get the job done - EasyTag for its
supperior user interface and features for "regular" tags, and Picard
for the missing fields.

Greetings,
Frank

--
Frank Blendinger | fb(at)intoxicatedmind.net | GPG: 0x0BF2FE7A
Fingerprint: BB64 F2B8 DFD8 BF90 0F2E 892B 72CF 7A41 0BF2 FE7A