[Easytag-mailing] Accents in tag field

Hi all,
I am tagging classical music files which frequently have accented characters.  These
appear correctly in file name filed but not in tag field.

For example ü in a file name becomes ¼  in the tag and so forth.

I don't understand why accented characters are shown correctly in one field and wrong
in another but if somebody could please advise how to correct this so that accented
characters are shown correctly in tags I would be most grateful.

I would also appreciate advice on how to enter accented characters.  This email has
been from an OS/2 machine which makes it easy using Alt+ Numeric keypad to enter
the ASCII decimal character from the code page.  Is there any easy way with Linux?

Regards,
Alastair.