[Easytag-mailing] Re: [Patch] GTK2 support for EasyTAG 0.30

Hi Daniel,

I've also a patch from Mihael Vrbanec (miqster gmx net) which had made a great work for a later version of EasyTAG (0.28.1). I don't remember exactly, but I think that it had replaced the old widgets...

I've attached his patch to this mail. It may be interesting to merge them and work to the last version of EasyTAG.

Daniel, your patch compiles fine, but an important thing to do when porting to GTK2 is to work with UTF-8 in the program. So all strings must be converted (or checked) to UTF-8 (g_utf8_validate, g_locale_to_utf8, g_utf8_strchr, and so on...).

Personally, I've some work to end before starting to work on gtk2... ...but it is in my plans ;-)

About gtk2 plans :
- the next release of EasyTAG (0.31?) will be still under gtk 1.2, and will be probably renumbered to 1.0 (if it is the last one)
- then, I'll stop to develop with this version of gtk
- and start a new branch with gtk2... (EasyTAG 2.0?)

Sinerely,
Jerome

Daniel Drake wrote:
Hi,

Here's a patch to port EasyTAG 0.30 to GTK+-2

This is an early patch, I basically just told it to compile with GTK+-2 and then worked through as many compile errors/warnings as I could. In its current state, it actually breaks some of easytags functionality, so this is still early stages. Plus, its a bit of a mess, I haven't paid much attention to indentation style. Additionally, the conversion from gtk+-1.2 means that we are relying on a lot of deprecated gtk functions - more work is needed if this is to become a 'clean' gtk2 implementation. I've marked some (but not all) of the areas I plan to come back to with FIXME's.

Jerome, does this patch interest you? If you would accept GTK2 support into the official releases, how would it work? We could add the gtk2 interface as an extra configure option and seperate the bits of code that have changed with ifdefs, or even add a second source tree for a GTK2 version? This would be messy but would be good for compatibility with older system installations. Or, we could port the software to GTK2, dropping the GTK1.2 interface. This would perhaps allow for cleaner code, but not as good compatibility...
(my personal opinion would be the 2nd option - drop gtk1 interface)

A couple of screenshots for anyone interested in what a GTK2 port would bring visually:
http://www.reactivated.net/patches/easytag-0.30/before.jpg
http://www.reactivated.net/patches/easytag-0.30/after.jpg

Patch attached.
Don't forget to run "autoreconf" and "autoconf" before configuring and compiling.

Feedback is welcome - comments please.

-Daniel

--
EasyTAG - Tag editor for MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files
http://easytag.sourceforge.net