dogtail Fwd: Dogtail question

Hi Craig,

If the GUI of the application in question is written using plain Swing, than I am afraid that dogtail will not be able to work with it - as swing doesn't use any native widgets since its components are not implemented by platform-specific code and instead they are written entirely in Java. This means Swing doesn't use GTK widgets that support accessibility technologies on which dogtail is built on. In this case, no atk module exports will help. It would only enable a11y support in GTK apps - and since you can see other apps it has already been done so session-wide with the sniff's first run.

I wonder how come you have been able to "see" the previous version of your application. Did the developers switch to Swing from ATK or SWT? These two toolkits use native widgets and as such are supported by dogtail.

Cheers,
Vita

Hi Vita,

Good news, I finally got a development version of the software I am testing! Bad news, Dogtail didn’t see the GUI with Sniff.

The developers tell me that it is done using Java Swing. Does Dogtail normally work on Java Swing programs? I have Dogtail version 0.6.1 I think, running on Red Hat 5.8.

Could it be that the developers have done something to lock out the GUI? I know I read somewhere that there is a command line command “export GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge"” to enter for Dogtail testing Java , I ran this and nothing appeared to happen, at least I never got an error Smile I wonder if there is something I can check to see if the command worked and the Java should be seen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if its a suggestion of another method!

Kind regards
Craig