Re: dogtail typing other characters than ascii

� wrote:
Hi,

I've started using dogtail recently, and I plan to use it for
extensive tests of a TextView-centered GUI. The current typeText()
method breaks for symbols like "," or for non-ascii letters, like
u'�'. Enclosed is a trivial patch that makes it possible to write

widget.typeText(('comma',))

...which is not very satisfying, but is enough for my preliminary tests :-)
Thanks for reporting this bug. I actually made a stupid mistake and forgot to make typeText() use the function I wrote to fix this problem before the 0.6.0 release. What should happen (and does now in CVS) is that typeText() calls pressKey(), which in turn calls UniCharToKeySym(). That last function is the key. typeText('foo, bar; baz!') should work now.

Do you have plans for a better support of text input? I can contribute
some code, but I would like not to start something if it's already
worked on.
Text input is definitely important, and I'm very open to ideas about improving it. To save you any unnecessary work, I'd suggest that you propose them here (actually, dogtail-devel-list gnome org is a better place) and get feedback before starting on anything major.

Zack