dogtail recorder?

I'm working with a group which is trying to come up with a way to automate regression testing of a Linux screen reader (makes it possible for vision-impaired people to use the computer). We are looking at dogtail, I read the helpful articles on Redhat Magazine;
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/020jun06/features/dogtail/

We don't want to test the applications themselves, we need to use GUI applications to test the screen reader. The more apps the better. You have to write a script for each app, and if you want to go through them pretty thoroughly the scripts can be lengthy, a lot of work to write.

In the RH Magazine articles they said they would "walk through using Dogtail's headless mode and the record and playback tool". But I don't see that anywhere and no documentation on it online elsewhere either. Record and playback sure would be handy for us. Is it working?

When I try to run dogtail-recorder I get a warning that "recorder.glade" couldn't be found and then a lot of error messages. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!