dogtail-devel Upstream reawakening (was Re: Is dogtail still being activbely developed?)

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 13:04 -0700, Wallace Owen l-3com com wrote:
> I'm seeing the signs of a dead project here.

Well, I don't think anyone's going to blame you for that. :)

> The example code hasn't been touched in at least six months - most have
> been unchanged for two years.

Actually, I added a new example 2 months ago. But your point still
stands.

> There's next to no traffic on this reflector.

True; there hasn't been much talk on the lists.

> I've been almost as frustrated with LDTP, but they've got _some_ docs,
> and bugs are being found and fixed and people are talking about features
> there.

I consider the source to be fairly well-documented. I'm certainly open
to questions, though.

I personally haven't had nearly as much time as I would like to fix
bugs, but as in any project, patches are gleefully accepted. Same for
features actually.

> So I gotta ask, where's the action here?  Why is there still no
> documented API?  Is it time to try ldtp on RHEL5?
>
>   // Wally

While the hosted API documentation is out-of-date, the actual API is in
fact documented. Python's built-in help() should tell you what you need
to know. If it doesn't, that's a problem.

Back to hosted API documentation, I'm going to fix that problem too. I
have an open ticket at fedorahosted.org to get hosting, and I plan to
move most of dogtail's online presence there. Part of the historical
problem with this project has been the poor hosting situation (lots of
long stories; won't get into them here), and the lack of an ability for
anyone other than myself to contribute to anything besides the actual
code.

New hosting will also mean more official releases. I'd like to be able
to point people at releases again, instead of just parroting "use svn
head", like I have been.

I'll send mail to the lists when there's something to jump on, which
hopefully will be very very soon.

Zack