Re: Upcoming changes

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 08:36 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

We previously suggested that modules that were already ported to
Meson
not drop Autotools support before 3.24 was released, and to my
knowledge all GNOME maintainers adhered to that request. For the 3.26
cycle, we believe it is appropriate for modules that are comfortable
with dropping support for Autotools to do so.

Yes. Maintaining 2 build systems for an extended time is madness.
I will not ask maintainers to do that.

At least in case of Vala, we have a downstream bug report [1], that
the generated files are not reproducible.

This would be good to report upstream.

But is it really an issue ? Is there any need for intermediate products
of a build to be reproducible, aside from general 'reproducible build'
desires ? This is not any different from different compilers generating
 non-identical object files from the same C source, afaics.

The one concern I think we should take seriously is api docs, and how
to keep them working in 3.26 if libraries move to meson (I'm likely to
do this for gtk+ 3.91)