Re: SpiderMonkey dependency change for gjs 1.47.3

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016, 18:18 <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
Hi list,

I'm told this is where I should write to inform downstream packagers of dependency changes in GNOME packages.

The gjs module has depended on SpiderMonkey 24 (variously known as js24 or mozjs24) for some time. By Monday I plan to release an unstable 1.47.3 which will depend on SpiderMonkey 31, the next ESR (extended support release) after 24. SpiderMonkey ESRs do not maintain API/ABI compatibility, and can be installed in parallel with each other. So it cannot be an upgrade to the SpiderMonkey 24 package.

SpiderMonkey 31 may need to be packaged for your distribution, in particular Ubuntu does not have a package for it yet. The official location to download the SpiderMonkey 31 source is: https://people.mozilla.org/~sstangl/mozjs-31.5.0.tar.bz2 (Sadly, this information is not well advertised by Mozilla.)

If you intend to package it I would suggest using this Ubuntu PPA package as a starting point, taken from here: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/ubuntu/testing/+packages
[snip]

Amending my recommendation above, I strongly suggest using the --with-intl-api configure option, as otherwise the resulting JS engine will be missing the ES6 i18n API. If you don't do this, you'll have to disable the testLocale test when you package GJS.

Additionally I recommend using --with-system-zlib and --with-system-icu. They add the respective obvious dependencies but I don't expect those to be a problem for any distro.

Regards,
Philip C