Re: ERM Visualization - Help

On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 09:34 +0200, Louisa Laudi wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Awfully formal! I case you hasn't noticed this is a mailing list and everything said is public record, I expect you know that already though

Because of my bachelor thesis I´m searching for a visualization-tool that is able to create entity-relationship-models (ERM). Current data is saved as an .xlsm-file – in a structure that not like an expected format for ERMs. Simply a connection between data and shapes would be possible with this data-structure. Of course, it´s possible for me to implement some program that will transform the Excel-File into an xml etc.. As part of the tool-evaluation I want to focus on following aspects:

Basic ERM is actually how I got into Dia

  • Support Windows: yes / no
  • Support Notation Barker: yes / no
  • Support Notation Martin / Crow´s Foot: yes / no
  • Import Excel-Format (incl. csv, xml):
  • Link – structure Excel:
  • Export Image-Format (PDF, JPEG, PNG, …):
  • Reverse Engineering: yes / no
  • Identify / Show changes after update data-set: yes / no
  • Supported Import-Formats:
  • Versioning: yes / no
  • Multi-User-Access to one project: yes / no
  • Trial available: yes / no
  • Price (in runtime x for organizations) : x€
  • License type:
  • Running costs (e.g. for support): x€
  • Programming skills neccessary? : yes / no

Not sure what this list is about?

These should be the content of the future ERM (semi-/automatic generated):

  • Entity-names – possible: yes / no
  • Relationship-names (next to arrows) – possible: yes / no
  • Generalization / Specialization of entities– possible: yes / no

dito

I haven´t found all information on your website. That´s why I´d kindly like you to give me an answer to all of these “feature requestes”.

Well our 'website' is an interesting problem..... Have you tried using dia? I suspect that would answer quite a few of your questions

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Louisa Laudi

dia-list gnome org