Re: Forking and building a new version of dia

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:15:29 +0100
Marco van Beek <marco 84andahalf com> wrote:

Hi,

I am a regular user of dia, and am saddened that it is slowly
decaying as a project.

The opinion of a man whose first post to this list in at least 5 years
asks for others to desert Inkscape and join him in a fork. Not say "how
can I help?", but ask others to desert. And just for the record, I've
never thought of Inkscape as "decaying": It works great for me.

I have an idea that might help create a new version with
functionality not found in any other system.

I have been documenting a fairly large system and realised how
quickly the diagrams will go out of date, just because cables get
moved, and so on.

So it occurred to me that given the xml data format, it should be
reasonably easy to come up with a client-server version, using an API
on a standard LAMP/WAMP server.

Now you see, what you could have done was offered to add your lampwamp
to the existing Inkscape so it becomes a nice, modular tool. I think
that would have created more interest.

With that in mind, I am happy to put some time into the server side,
using apache to do the authentication,

Put some time in? You'd better get ready to treat it as almost a
fulltime job: Forks are brutal. I know you wouldn't expect your
co-forkers to carry the load while you just "put some time into". Would
you?

So what do people think? I think we would have to fork the project,
but if it is dying anyway that is often the easiest way to take
control.

I'm not sure how valuable a multiuser Inkscape would be, and of course
if it's stored uncompressed another possibility would be for
everyone to use git on the drawing. But the real problem here is that,
the way you've approached this list on your very first contact, I doubt
you'd be a credible project leader.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence