Re: What's wrong with Dia the way it is?

Le 5 décembre 2018 18:32:47 GMT+01:00, Steve Litt <slitt troubleshooters com> a écrit :

What's wrong with Dia just the way it is? It works. It's exportable
into Inkscape for conversion to SVG.

Good point, but that also means to repeatidly rewrites by hand the diagram shapes and so on.

An UNIX way would be to implement a "Dia import" plugin for Inkscape.

Sure, I have a few qualms with the way Dia works, mainly having to do
with the relationship between text and shapes, but perhaps some good
workaround documentation would settle that. I'd love to have
Visio-quality diagram components, and perhaps if somebody writes some
docs on how to make your own components with the connection points
*you* want, that will be solved.

/think the connection points would embed nodes like "special" scripts (as an array), next endpoint, former
endpoint, (last) relation with endpoint.

We can imagine a typical scripts collection (encoded strings can embed anything, such as Python). All scripts
would have an id on diagram, but moreover a "name" and "version" you can refer, and especially having a
"local" scheme if customized.

One thing impairing shapes development is that anything dynamic involves C.

I think the used shapes would be embedded as "not visible" in a properties path,
then the rendered shapes on diagram would use xml id / path. So, scripts would control how to
add/delete/modify a node  and its properties, and what to pass to parent node. That needs shapes to be
rewritten really consistent regarding xml.

Plus the fact that if everyone
authoring new components puts them together in an online hierarchical
library, perhaps with keyword search, our diagrams could start to rival
those of visio users.

There were attempts to create shapes libraries (actually, they are), but the only way to get a consistent
collection would be a branch in Dia git for that, with a QA process (such as bug reports).
/plus a document oriented database (json is back in discussion) (because it is fast enough), read-only for
end-users.

If some of the libraries used by Dia are in the process of being
deprecated, then those certainly must be replaced by their successors.
But other than that, why the emphasis on maintenance? Sometimes
something's so good it needs no more maintenance (fetchmail is one
example).

Right now Dia works for people on all sorts of computers. It's very
DIYable. My experience has been that in many cases, people in a hurry
to "improve" software end up making it into a buggy, DIY-not-allowed
monolithic entanglement.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21