RE: Dia and reactive planning (was: Dia Discontinued)

Hi Johann

Thanks for your interest in my work and for your questions.

I don't have any specific problems with using the old version of python within Dia, it more that I have to
maintain an install of the old python version with newer versions required for other things. This works OK
right now, but as with everything you have to update at some point otherwise things stop working eventually.

Here is a short video of the R5 robot working with Plan4.inst created directly from the python export -
https://youtu.be/7Pur3ADVPO4

I have created plans with maybe 150 elements and it works fine. I think it would usefully scale up to several
hundred plan elements, although you would need some structure in your layout of the diagram to keep it
maintainable. The plans are not hierarchies, but directed graphs i.e. a sub tree can be used in multiple
places. I do not currently support any kind of diagram nesting. This visual approach works well for the
creation of reactive plans, and we are using it with other tools, see ABOD3 on GitHub
https://github.com/RecklessCoding/ABOD3

In terms of limitations I can't think of anything specific. It was a little difficult to work out how to
debug the python script from within the Dia environment.

I did look at doing this in MS-Visio, and even discounting the huge cost of Visio (I can get a free Uni
licence), I honestly think it was much easier in Dia with Python than it would have been using VBScript in
Visio.

One very handy facility would be the ability to group a set of elements and then collapse/expand them into a
single visible element, whilst maintaining the underlying object data structures.

I like Dia very much.

Cheers

Rob