Re: Dia gtk2 dependency & broadwayd

At 05.11.2013 02:53, Enrique Filiage wrote:
Hi!

I was testing broadwayd to run a gtk3 application on browser, gedit and
libreoffice run nice, but Dia doesn't. Why? Is because Dia still depends gtk2?

Yes. 'dia --version --verbose' can tell the details.

If true, how should move from gtk2 to gtk3?
The most important part is missing in this question: who?

Exist some guideline?
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

Dia has a deadline to do this update?
There are no deadlines whatsoever for Dia that I know of. And even less so for depending on gtk3. Not relying on gtk2 deprecated API is a precondition for gtk3 and some work towards that is available on Dia master. Based on that there is a bunch of extra work needed, which I experimented with about a year ago. Meanwhile I consider the pace of deprecations in gtk land as just too high for my spare time, so that work is abandoned. But if anyone wants to spend some weeks on the gtk3-port of Dia, I could provide the pathes I did so far:

[gtk3-port] gtk_object_destroy() is gone
[gtk3-port] win32 build changes only
[gtk3-port] no more text rendering with Gdk (temporarily?)
[gtk3-port] no more gtk_widget_set_default_colormap()
[gtk3-port] use DiaOptionMenu instead of GtkOptionMenu
[gtk3-port] no more GdkColormap
[gtk3-port] implement GtkWidget::draw()
[gtk3-port] disable the plug-in implemented class dialog
[gtk3-port] partly experimental changes to the display code
[gtk3-port] small hack to use GtkWrapBox
[gtk3-port] allow externally provided CR, use cairo_region_t
[gtk3-port] disable unused ListProperty widgets
[gtk3-port] DiaOptionMenu instead of GtkOptionMenu
[gtk3-port] no more create_object_pixmap()
[gtk3-port] new draw method
[gtk3-port] direct cairo drawing for line style preview
[gtk3-port] use DiaCairoRenderer for Arrow preview
[gtk3-port] use GtkButton plus GtkMenu to replace GtkOptionMenu
[gtk3-port] connect to "draw" event rather than "expose"
[gtk3-port] no more GdkGC for MagnifyTool and ModifiyTool
[gtk3-port] preferred width/height for GtkWrapBox etc.
[gtk3-port] no more GdkGC
[gtk3-port] no more GdkPixmap and GdkBitmap

Would be amazing run Dia through a browser! :)

From the pure technology point of view I agree. But at least I could not come up with a real use case for me ;)