Re: Performance of Dia

Hi Nalini,

On 17.07.2013 22:39, Nalini Karthik wrote:
Can any one tell me how is the performance & scalability of Dia?
For example if I want to generate diagrams with items in the range of more
than 1000s in it.
Instead of waiting for some kind of marketing statement here: Why don't you just try it yourself? Performance will depend last not least on your hardware (and you didn't tell us which hardware you use) Performance will also depend on the objects and their connections (the diagram content), whether you
work antialiased or not and many other things.

If you don't have that diagram with "more than 1000s" of objects in it ready,
just a add some object to your diagram and repeat the following steps:

* Select all
* Copy
* Paste

You'll soon reach thousands of objects. And you'll be able to judge if the performance meets your requirements.

Also how would be the look & feel? Does it arrange itself neatly?
In most cases, Dia will not alter your diagrams, unless you tell it to do so. It provides a number of alignment options that you could use to "arrange itself neatly":

http://dia-installer.de/doc/en/objects-chapter.html#aligning-objects
Is it easy & possible to extend its feature to import/export XML file?
Dia's native format is an XML format.
Dia is open source and can be extended in any way you wish. E.g. using XSLT, Python or C.

Regards,

Steffen