Re: Drawing a circular flow

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Marshall Feldman <marsh uri edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks. I managed to draw an arc from the top of a rectangle to its side.
> So, by "something else" you don't just mean another object. Different sides
> of a polygon count as "somethings else." Is this behavior documented
> anywhere? Exactly what counts as (i.e., what is the technical definition of)
> "something else."

something else = connection point

> I don't know what you mean by "arc primitive" or "symbol sheet." The Dia
> Manual refers to a "Toolbox." I'm using the Toolbox items for flowcharts. In

We are all voluntary work here so in a fast answer I may not use the exact terms as in the manual. I don't have the manual at hand nor have time to read the docs right now so:

When I refer to a primitive I'm talking about the few basic shapes that are always visible on the toolbox. I use the term "symbol sheet" to refer to the specific symbols provided by each module for example: UML, Flowchart, SLD, etc.

[...]

[...]

> No, it's not exactly a flowchart. If you want to see an example, look at
> Figure 9.3 on p. 175 of this paper. This is a monetary flow diagram designed
> to show money flows in an economy. To visualize an example, think of an
> economy consisting of two sectors, one producing consumer goods and one
> producing capital goods. The consumer goods sector buys capital goods from
> the capital goods sector, so money flows from the former to the latter. On
> the other hand, the capital goods sector buys capital goods from itself. So
> a portion of the money it receives circulates within the sector, or in other
> words, goes from the capital goods sector to itself. Besides showing flows
> between economic entities, I want to show flows within individual entities,
> such as those within the capital goods sector.

So you are referring to the loop labeled 1 on the box FsubL ?

If so I just reproduced that figure by using the arc primitive. You can determine the names of each primitive by placing the mouse pointer over the tool and waiting for the tooltip to appear. I used the object with symbol name Arc (A)

I connected the arc to the left connection point of the box, then connected the arrow head to the bottom connection point of the box. When the arc is selected you should see three small boxes, two of them red because they are connected and one orange. If you drag the orange one you can increase the arc size so it emulates what you have on Figure 9.3. Then you can double-click the arc and change the properties of the line to make it dashed like the picture.

I have attached a did file with the example. You will notice that for the F sub L I had to create 2 separate text labels and then group them because the text properties do not support subscript AFAIK.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass