Re: Fwd: python

At 28.03.2013 13:03, Xavier Naveira wrote:

Anyone?

Apparently no one knows (including me, see below ;))
I wonder if you asked that question first at your distributor.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: python
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:35:52 +0100
From: Xavier Naveira <xavier naveira ongame com>
To: dia-list gnome org <dia-list gnome org>

[...]

To begin with I copied the last example in the documentation page
https://live.gnome.org/Dia/Python to the file "~/.dia/python/center.py"
and gave it 755. And that's it, I was expecting an extra option in the
menus but it doesn't show.

First thing to check is the availability of the Python plugin with File/Plugins... Without this plug-in loaded there will be not Python scripting support.

I'm using Fedora 17 and installed Dia via repositories (0.97.1).

If my understanding of the Fedora 17 Dia build log is right they choose to build without Python support. See:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/dia/0.97.1/3.fc17/data/logs/i686/build.log

Configuration:
        Source code location:   .
        Compiler:               gcc
        Gnome support:                          yes
        Python support:                         no
        Libart support (PNG export):            yes
        Cairo support (PNG, PDF, print):        yes
        Dia Python bindings with SWIG           no
        WMF plug-in with libEMF:                no
        html doc:                               no
        pdf and ps doc:                         no

Should I install python plugin separately? If yes, how? Any help will be
very much appreciated.

The build paramters an dpackaging are decided by your distributor. Only they know why they provide Dia without Python support.

If you want to build Dia from source the configure parameter to get Python support is: --with-python

HTH,
        Hans