Re: Connect two lines?

At 27.11.2012 12:33, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Alejandro Imass!

[...]
If the ends of lines can connect (i.e. are connection points
themselves) why can't they connect to each other?? it seems like
something easy to fix...

Just putting connection points on the end of lines might be relatively easy to code. But I'm not yet convinced the resulting behavior would be an improvement. For example: what should happen if you move one of the line segments? The current behavior is Handles just give up the connection (try moving a line connecting two boxes either moving a handle or the whole line). Connection points on the other hand are preserving their connections (try moving one of the boxes connected by the line). Now with both ends of the line having both a connection point and a handle what is going to happen?

So to quote Linus Torvals: "Talk is cheap. Show me the code."
        aka.
Pathes accepted ;-)

Quite simple - it is to remove ambiguity of multiple lines connection to the
same connection point of a shape.
If lines can't connect end-to-end, it reduces the possibility of lines
connection to each other instead of the shape's connection point to zero.

The question of Connection Points vs. Handles was discussed in great length before. Please see:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2008-July/msg00101.html
for some details.

HTH,
        Hans