Re: Dia and images

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM,  <dia-list-request gnome org> wrote:
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:15:37 -0400
From: Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com>
Subject: Re: Dia and images

Hard to believe that WIKI
software doesn't support Dia directly, it would be a perfect match -allowing
anyone to create diagrams when authoring a WIKI entry.

I assume you mean in terms of making it possible for an object of type
"application/x-dia" to refer to external objects via the same base URL
- IE, for example, chart.dia can refer to symbol.png as "./symbol.png"
(or some other reasonable relative URL.)

I think some wikis do provide for this, but I can't cite specific ones
right now. I agree, it would be good if all wikis allowed this.

The embedding of objects requires tying the development of a programs to
those other sources - great if you have lots of human resource to manage it.
 Someone like Microsoft can dictate to other programs how to maintain
embedded-ness, but a smaller group like Dia has no control over the myriad
of image making softwares.

For "simple" images in PNG, JPG, GIF or TIF formats, you could export
your diagram as an SVN, then use Inkscape to embad the images in the
SVG file. In fact, it is poosible to run Inkscape in command line mode
to do this in a script.