Re: Line pointed to center of circle

Karel,

No need for me to look at it as I am not a developer.  I am just trying to help find an existing method that can do what you want, and maybe clarify the desired function.  Perhaps Steffan or Hans will like to see the video.

If you have explored the function of ellipses and lines then you know what can be done and what cannot.

Now you have to try to make a sufficient case to get the enhancement coded - or learn to do that yourself.  If you are the only person who ever wanted this, then you may find that developing it yourself is best.

Sorry,

Mike

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Kaminar <Kaminar seznam cz> wrote:
> Regarding your discussion of blocks, do you mean a group?

No, I don't mean group. I mean only select some objects with mouse.
I captured video of this problem in Dia. If you agree, I can send you this
video on your private email. Video length is 3.7MB. Zipped with 7zip video
length is 2MB.

Karel

> [...]
> on the circle it shows the whole line, but when you release it the part of
> the line from the border to the center is invisible.  If you move the circle
> the line clearly is attached at the center, it moves around
> the circumference rather than being attached to a connection point on the
> circumference.  This is nice if you want to put some text of other item
> inside the circle, and not see the ray behind it.
>
> You are asking for a behavior that is common in a CAD program where lines
> are snapped to the center and remain visible.
>
> There are 8 attachment points on the border of an ellipse or circle where
> the major and minor axes are located.  You can attach a line to them and to
> the center, and it will remain visible.
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Kaminar <Kaminar seznam cz> wrote:
>
> > > It never hurts to mention which version of Dia you are using and the OS.
> >
> > I tried it in Dia 0.97.1 in Ubuntu 10.04. But described behaviour I
> > observed in previous Dia version too.
> >
> > > With object snap turned on.
> > > If you create an ellipse and set it to be a circle, and turn the back
> > ground
> > > off,
> > > then draw a line to it,  the line will snap to the center, but the line
> > is
> > > not visible within the circle.
> >
> > The line is snapped to center as long as mouse button is pressed, but after
> > release mouse button the line skip from circle center to border regardless
> > of snap option (this is not due to the line is not visible, because in my
> > try circle background was off).
> >
> > > If you want to draw a line that is a visible ray from the center of the
> > > circle,
> > > Dia does not do this with snapping and connection,
> > > thus when you move the circle the visible ray is left behind.
> >
> > I didn't mind moving only circle alone. I have minded the moving of
> > selected block, which covers circle and line together. After moving circle
> > and line together, the line point skips from center to border of circle. It
> > seems like unwanted behaviour, because it changes objects inside selected
> > block after move.
> >
> > Karel
> >

> --
> Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain
> happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
> *Dalai Lama *
>
> To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
> Thomas A.
> Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>
>
> A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought.
> *Warren Buffet*
>
> Michael E. Ross
> (919) 550-2430 Land
> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Google Phone

Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?

Thomas A. Edison

Warren Buffet

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land