Re: dia-list Digest, Vol 89, Issue 24

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM,  <dia-list-request gnome org> wrote:

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:52:00 +0200
From: "Philip Lafeber" <philip lafeber mavim com>
Subject: Opening DIA diagrams in MS Visio

Dear Sirs,

My customer arrived at DIA, the open source tool to create diagrams.
They like it and want to use it. The product I support can only import
Visio diagrams. So I was wondering if I can create diagrams in DIA and
convert them to VSD. I exported first to SVG, later to VDX. In both
options, the elements are saved in many parts. A block containing text
will end up in Visio as a group of a drawn box and a text element.

I think that is because of how the shapes themselves are defined. The
shapes in the shape sheet files are SVG. SVG objects can be text
objects, but do not have a label attribute like Dia or Visio shapes
do.

Do you know of any good way to migrate a diagram from DIA to VSD without
the loss (or change of) information? I did find information about
converting Visio diagrams to DIA, but not the other way round.

Not that I know of. For your application it should be possible to
create a better (for your application) Dia XML to Visio XML converter,
but would require more details about Visio XML than I have ever been
able to find.