Saving and sending Dia Flow Diagrams

Hello,
Several of us that work for the State of TN loaded this software. It is very user friendly with a few exceptions. When we go to save, it wants to save as a picture. Later clicking on it won't open it with any program. We are forced to go into Dia and open it from the File menu. We cannot open each other's documents when we e-mail them to each other. We also tried copying to a Word document, which works but the text is missing. Also, when printing it comes out huge and on several pages even when reducing the size on the page and/or printer.  Any suggestions?
Thank You!

Christine Estes
Director, Policy Implementation,
FA VIP Systems Coordination Unit