Problem creating sheets

I'm running Dia 0.97.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.  I have several shapes in
~/.dia/shapes/myShapes.  From the Sheets and Objects page, I pick New
and created and selected and the left panel shows the empty sheet.  I
then pick New again, pick SVG shape, browse to one of my shapes, add a
description, and click OK.  Dia warns me that my shape is a duplicate
but only shows one in the sheet.  Poking around in the system, I find
that it has copied the .png and .shape files from shapes/myShapes to
shapes.  This looks like a bug to me but I'm not sure what I may be
doing wrong.  I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide.